Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My Second College English Assignment



      Let me just say that completing my second English class assignment was very difficult for me.  Not that I did not understand the parameters of the assignment, I understood unequivocally what was expected of us. What I did not expect was to be moved, and actually be reduced to tears, while doing the assignment.  The first article speaks of bullying and its effects. I know this only too well, as I was bullied quite a bit when I went to school. This article brought back strong and hurtful memories.

     The next article brought back the horrors of my Jr. Year in High School. While I don’t know if alcohol was involved, I do know that circumstances were very, eerily similar. It changed my life forever. I think that was the year that I truly lost my childish innocence. That I learned that nobody is immune to death.

-Rowing the Bus


-A Drunken Ride


 Rowing the Bus,” by Paul Logan; is a first person narrative. Words used in the essay; which reflect a first person narrative, are the continuous use of the words, such as “I” and “Me”. Through Logan’s narration, we are allowed a glimpse into what his life was like as a child “Besides my outdated clothes, I wore thick glasses, had crossed eyes, and spoke with a persistent lisp. For whatever reason, I had never learned to say the “s” sound properly, and I pronounced words that began with “th” as if they began with a “d.” In addition, because of my severely crossed eyes, I lacked the hand and eye coordination necessary to hit or catch flying objects.” (Logan 638)

 Paul Logan shares with the reader, very personal memories, of being bullied in school “When I was in elementary school, some older kids made me row the bus. Rowing meant that on the way to school I had to sit in the dirty bus aisle littered with paper, gum wads, and spitballs. Then I had to simulate the motion of rowing while the kids around me laughed and chanted, “Row, row, row the bus.” I was forced to do this by a group of bullies who spent most of their time picking on me.” (Logan 638) His desire to fit in with other children “For four years, from second through fifth grade, I prayed nightly for God to give me school days in which I would not be insulted, embarrassed, or made to feel ashamed.” (Logan 638)

 A Drunken Ride,” by authors Theresa Conroy and Christine M. Johnson; is written in third person narrative. In this essay, all thoughts, and point of views are shared. The opinion of the authors, is left out. Phrases that support a third person narrative would be “The evening of September 13 began in high spirits as Baxter, behind the wheel of his gold Blazer, picked up seven high school chums for a drinking party for William Tennent High School students and graduates at the home of a classmate. Using false identification, according to police, the boys purchased one six-pack of beer each from a Warminster Township bar.” (Conroy, Johnson 638)

 “Killed in that flash were: Morris “Marty” Freedenberg, sixteen, who landed near a telephone pole about thirty feet from the truck, his face ripped from his skull; Robert Schweiss, eighteen, a Bucks County Community College student, whose internal organs were crushed when he hit the pavement about thirty feet from the truck; Brian Ball, seventeen, who landed near Schweiss, his six-foot-seven-inch frame stretched three inches when his spine was severed; and Christopher Avram, seventeen, a premedical student at Temple University, who landed near the curb about ten feet from the truck” (Conroy, Johnson 638) As gruesome as it is, the authors are bringing the readers back to that fateful night, so that they can experience the events for themselves.

I think both essays have been written to have a major impact; to make the reader feel something, move the audience to change their point of views. Whether that is to not be a bully, or to consider the repercussions of drinking and driving. While both essays are intended for children and teenagers attending grade school and high school; I think it would be difficult for anyone to read these articles, and not feel something. Because they effected me very deeply.


Works Cited:

-Logan, Paul. English Skills and Writing. “Rowing a Bus.” (pg. 638). New York, NY. The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. 2008. Print.

-Conroy, Theresa. Johnson, Christine M. English Skills and Writing. “A Drunken Ride.” (pg. 638). New York, NY. The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. 2008. Print. 

(If you have any questions, shoot me an e-mail! kaye.warren@hotmail.com) 

No comments:

Post a Comment