Sunday, December 9, 2012

My Class Introduction

Area of study: Bachelor of Science, Interior Design

Familiarity with the field of art: In High School I received a basic education in the prescribed art curriculum, which has not been used much out of High School, and definitely needs to be brushed up on. Last summer I traveled to Amsterdam. While there I got to visit the Vincent Van Gogh Museum, that was quite a treat. I my everyday life, my art mediums would be fabric and yarn. I see things visually in my head, and use that skill before I start a quilting or crochet project.

Career goals: My immediate career goals while I attend school would be, to apply myself to the best of my abilities to each one of my courses. Make the honor roll. I believe this is very possible, if I study the selected material and put in the work, time, and effort required. My distant career goals would be to graduate college, get a job in an interior design firm, or own an interior design firm of my own, in a large metropolitan city like London, New York or Paris. Possibly even a job as a set designer.

Areas of interest: My areas of interest are varied, depending on the mood that strikes me. You could say that I am a jack of all trades but a master of none. I enjoy reading. Subcategories would include: Historical biographies, Historical romance, Fantasy, Interior Design magazines. Jane Austen and William Shakespeare are two of my favorite writers. My musical tastes are all over the board. Ranging from Classical music, to Punk Rock and Indie. If I had to pick three I would choose Thomas Tallis, The Ramones, and Regina Spektor. I enjoy black and white films from the early 1900’s to the 1920’s, and period pieces. Two favorites would be ‘Trip To The Moon’ (1902) directed by Georges Melies; as it pertains to the world of art, I would have to select ‘Goya’s Ghost’ (2006) directed by Milos Forman. I also enjoy running, crochet, quilting, baking and writing.

A painting that speaks to me, one that I have always enjoyed would be ‘The Starry Night’ by Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890). I like the organic shapes used in the painting, there are no harsh lines, it curves and flows. I like the blue hues contrasting with the intensity of the yellow hues. I would say the overall temperature of the painting would be cool tones. There is something calming yet mysterious about this painting to me. I wonder what lies beyond the mountains in the distance and the types of people sleeping in their houses in the village below.

 
                                                          The Starry Night
                                             Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890)
                                                        Ca. June 1889
                                           Oil on Canvas (73.7 cmx92.1 cm)
                                      Painted in Saint-Remy-De-Provence France
                                      The Museum of Modern Art, New York City

No comments:

Post a Comment