Sunday, December 9, 2012

Creative Statement of My Artwork

The project that I have decided to share is one that I am currently working on. I had mentioned in my introduction that I like to quilt. Fabric is one of my favorite mediums to use. At the start of this project, I have a basic high school art education. Credit for the pattern goes to Missouri Star Quilt Company. The name of the pattern is called The Big Star Quilt. The fabric used is by Moda and the line is by The French General. What inspired me to create this project was the vision that I had of the finished project in my head, with my choice of colors and fabrics. I like when I can see something visually and make it come to life.

Before I start a project like this, I either have to have a movie (I like to pop in Lord Of The Rings, even though I have watched it many times, it is long. It is good background noise, and lets me gauge how long I have been working on a project, just one of the small quirks that I have). Listening to some good jamming music, classical or 80’s, really get my creative juices flowing.

So after I have the music or the movie that I want to watch, I make sure that my work area is clean and tidy (even though I know I am going to mess it up again very shortly). Following the pattern, I separated the light and dark fabrics. I then took two white fabric squares and matched them up right sides together with both a light and a dark square. Then I matched up both a light and dark square right sides together. At my sewing machine, I sewed all around the perimeter of the squares. I then brought the sewn squares over to my cutting mat; sliced the square diagonal one way, then turned and sliced the square diagonal the other way. I opened them, and I had four half square triangles. Three square sets makes a star, so I did this to all three square sets.

After I had cut all of my half square triangles, I brought them over to my ironing board. I pressed the seam, then ironed open the half square triangle. After I had enough cut squares for one large star, I pieced and sewed up a mock square, to see if I liked how the colors blended together. When I was satisfied, I laid out the rest of the quilt to see if it was pleasing to the eye. This is where I stopped.

In this quilt there is a contrast between the light and dark textiles. Two primary colors are used, both red and blue. The quilt has movement to it, the stars seem to twirl. Pattern is created by triangles that are turned in different directions, making a star, causing rhythm and movement. All the stars are the same size and in scale with one another. Even though the quilt is 2D, the combinations of the light and dark seem to make the starts jump out at you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment